This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 07-Nov-2015 01:55 Last Post By: RobM
mrag

How to remove and/or rename a Recent Project
Posted: 02-Nov-2015 21:28

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jA-22.jpg (53.4 KB)
This is a two parter:

I was 'cleaning up' my pc yesterday. I did a number of the Delete Entire Project selections in jAlbum and perhaps got bored and then went into My Albums and deleted or renamed some others. On the attached for example, using Win Explorer, I changed "mastic" to "Mastic Damage."

Now I cannot do anything to the mastic or Gromit v12 Map Test1 etc files. As soon as I click on one of them I get a pop up java.io error. So no right click option to rename, delete or forget.

Somewhat aside, I also deleted some test collaborative projects. They're gone, but I still have the .inbox folders showing. Is there an easy way to dump them since I have no further need?
RobM

Re: How to remove and/or rename a Recent Project
Posted: 02-Nov-2015 22:07   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Helpful
Use your time machine to undelete then on the collaborative albums detach the albums, see http://jalbum.net/help/en/JAlbum/Collaborative. I don't know if quiting and restarting will clear them
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 22:12   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Helpful
Removing the projects from the recents list, quick way is go to Preferrences and drop the number to one. You might have to quit, relaunch and then reset the number of projects.
mrag

Posted: 03-Nov-2015 09:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

As you suggested, I changed the preferences from the default 50(!) most recent projects down to 7, closed and restarted and that cleared up the old project list. I then changed back the 7 to 18, but that didn't add anything more until I started doing File > Open project, etc.

I probably make a bit more test and prelim albums than an organized person so I'm more sensitized to the issue.

Still think it all could be 'smoother' to do, but the changing preferences will work for now. Thanks for the help.
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Nov-2015 10:14   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

You can actually use File->Recent projects->Clear list. It will clear up the recent projects list for you. We should make the behavior smoother when jAlbum detects that it cannot open a certain album project. Do you suggest that it's unlisted automatically?

With jAlbum closed, you can actually edit the recent projects list. It's a plain text file and resides in jAlbum's config folder (Tools->Open directories->Config directory)
RobM

Posted: 03-Nov-2015 22:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
You can actually use File->Recent projects->Clear list. It will clear up the recent projects list for you. We should make the behavior smoother when jAlbum detects that it cannot open a certain album project. Do you suggest that it's unlisted automatically?
That menu choice is not so obvious because it is actually shown under File->Open recent album project. It might be better if it was just Recent projects.

Automatically removing broken projects would be my next best choice after 'Find project or remove from list?', if a find project selection was potentially useful.
MarkusD

Posted: 04-Nov-2015 23:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:

IMHO this is not a good idea, because:
  • If a user stores project files on a network share, which maybe is not available (for what ever reason), and JA will delete these projects from the recent list, I promise users will not be happy with that;
  • if a user stores project files on an external hard drive which is not attached to the computer when he starts JA, and the entries in the recent list get deleted, I promise users will not be happy with that;
RobM

Posted: 04-Nov-2015 23:49   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

• If a user stores project files on a network share, which maybe is not available (for what ever reason), and JA will delete these projects from the recent list, I promise users will not be happy with that;
  • if a user stores project files on an external hard drive which is not attached to the computer when he starts JA, and the entries in the recent list get deleted, I promise users will not be happy with that;
Users were not happy because projects got removed from the recent list when they opened more projects than the list could hold, hence the increased/variable size of the list. If users really want to keep projects visible then maybe a feature request to 'Add a "Favourites" folder to the recent projects list' could be submitted. Such a folder could be added to/removed by the user but not by the program.
MarkusD

Posted: 04-Nov-2015 23:53   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Users were not happy because projects got removed from the recent list when they opened more projects than the list could hold, hence the increased/variable size of the list. If users really want to keep projects visible then maybe a feature request to 'Add a "Favourites" folder to the recent projects list' could be submitted. Such a folder could be added to/removed by the user but not by the program.
Such a feature would make much sense, yes.
davidekholm

Posted: 05-Nov-2015 09:28   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

You're right. I agree with that reasoning. How about if unavailable album projects are simply hidden from the list? If they become available later, they reappear. Wouldn't that scheme be easier and more intuitive than introducing a concept of favorite album projects? I mean, such a mechanism can be simulated by simply putting links/shortcuts to project files in a folder.
mrag

Posted: 05-Nov-2015 11:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

For discussion, say I make 100 projects a year. Each a one time thing EXCEPT a single, special Christmas album that I update only once a year. How to keep that one always in my Project list of 50 projects?

Second discussion. In My Documents > My Albums I now have 200 folders in My Albums. I go into Windows Explorer and rename and or delete 20 of them. One is named "Mastic" and I change that in Windows Explorer to "Mastic Damage." Now I open jAlbum and I still see "Mastic" in the project list. Besides what has already been suggested <clear> can there be an easier way to update the Project list?
RobM

Posted: 05-Nov-2015 22:15   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
Second discussion. In My Documents > My Albums I now have 200 folders in My Albums. I go into Windows Explorer and rename and or delete 20 of them. One is named "Mastic" and I change that in Windows Explorer to "Mastic Damage." Now I open jAlbum and I still see "Mastic" in the project list. Besides what has already been suggested <clear> can there be an easier way to update the Project list?
I tried that with jAlbum 13.03 and it works more like David is suggesting above.
I have a project jAlbum13 in the recent projects list.
Quit jAlbum and rename the project, say to jAlbum14.
Open jAlbum and the project is not there, neither named version.
Open the settings .jap file and jAlbum14 appears.
Quit jAlbum and revert the name.
Open jAlbum and the project list shows jAlbum13 but no jAlbum14.
Open the recent-projects.txt file and 'both projects' are listed.
mrag

Posted: 05-Nov-2015 23:20   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yikes, I think you're right. When did that happen?

With jAlbum closed, I just cut a My Album folder named "Mastic Damage" (and pasted it elsewhere). On restarting jAlbum 13.0.5 there was no "Mastic Damage" listed in the Recent Projects! So I closed jAlbum, moved "Mastic Damage" back into the My Albums folder and then restarted jAlbum. Damn if "Mastic Damage" didn't show up again in the Recent Project list !%$^#^@. That all seems to work great now.

So what dummy started this thread anyway?
jGromit

Posted: 05-Nov-2015 23:28   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

As soon as the discussion veers into quantum effects, I'm outta here.
RobM

Posted: 06-Nov-2015 01:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
As soon as the discussion veers into quantum effects, I'm outta here.
I have a piece of code but there is a bit I am uncertain about.

Edited by: RobM on 07-Nov-2015 00:18
Code removed due to quantum fluctuations in the cosmic fabric
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums