This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 54 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 30 May 12, 15:32 Last Post By: sarahschoelzel
JeffTucker

Re: Filters like in Instagram
Posted: 15 May 12, 15:51   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Yes, the errors are now gone. :)
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 15 May 12, 15:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Great :)
Thanks for your help!
mrag

Posted: 16 May 12, 18:48   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Is there a finished sample album using one of these filters?
monkeyboy

Posted: 17 May 12, 00:37   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

Here's a sample album featuring all 8 filters (and a folder named 'No Filter' containing the original images with no filters applied).
mrag

Posted: 17 May 12, 11:09   in response to: monkeyboy in response to: monkeyboy

Thanks, that helped quite a bit. I actually borrowed a few of your finished sample photos (and your Juicebox skin) to make another sample album . This one however, uses the same photo in each folder so the only variation is the filter. How is one supposed to remember "tulip" looks pinker than "pink?"

Really like Juicebox, easy to use, clean and even my iPad liked it.
jimberry

Posted: 17 May 12, 11:31   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
... ... How is one supposed to remember "tulip" looks pinker than "pink?"
Here is another sample album.
This one allows you link directly to the same image using a different filter.
If this is deemed to be useful, I can probably improve it to show the two filters on the same page.
jimberry

Posted: 17 May 12, 16:25   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

#1. Is it possible for some of the "flower" filters be exported to the "Image tools" pane of the Edit panel?
There is already an equivalent "Gray" for the "Daisy" filter, but it might be useful to be able to apply some of the others to a single image.

#2. Is there some way to attach a description to these filters so that it is obvious what each one is supposed to do without actually having to generate an album?
- Maybe instead of using the "User variables" tab to specify a filter, there could be a "Filters" tab with a radiobutton or checkbox with a descriptive label?
mrag

Posted: 17 May 12, 17:53   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

it might be useful to be able to apply some of the others to a single image.
I have a hard time imagining someone taking 50 photos and applying the same one of these filters to every image in an album. The effect also differs based on background color, image detail and color(s) in the image. Instagram BTW is designed around a single photo, not an album.

Naming and description without a pop up sample is difficult. Thistle to me is "Antique." Daisy is "Gray" (or Sepia?). Armond did a nice job with BluPlusPlus and frames & border samples within the skin.

What might be cool is a pop up tool like TomCee's SimpleXBF.
monkeyboy

Posted: 17 May 12, 18:15   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

@mrag & jimberry
Thanks for the updated sample albums, both of which are probably a better showcase for the filters than my own one.
RobM

Posted: 17 May 12, 23:50   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Hi Sarah.
I'm confused, it doesn't take much I'm afraid.
Ah, found the light switch!

Edited by: RobM on 17-May-2012 22:52
jimberry

Posted: 18 May 12, 01:14   in response to: monkeyboy in response to: monkeyboy

monkeyboy wrote:
@mrag & jimberry
Thanks for the updated sample albums,
Thanks for the original idea ;-)
I am still not satisfied with my version - I am trying to get a display of two images side by side.
Hovering over the filter name would replace the RHS image with the image from that filter.
Clicking on the filter name would change the LHS image.
(I am modifying some code from the old (discontinued) "Vertical Mouseover" skin)
Being able to see two images on the same page would make for a better comparison.
RobM

Posted: 18 May 12, 02:27   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Yet another demo, one image with all thumbnails, filtered and original, on one page with links to slide pages. http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1174812/

Edited by: RobM on 18-May-2012 01:28
Made with a slightly modified Contact Sheet Template
mrag

Posted: 18 May 12, 03:02   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

In this semi skins 'arms race,' let me add yet another new sample album ;-) This one allows multiple images to be open at the same time and be positioned against each other for easy comparison. I think the image area, the image colors and the background all influence the viewer's final perception so there are three folders recognizing each situation. Is there a skin where one can also change the background color at will (Digital Photo Librarian?) ?

Key question, are these filters for a SINGLE image or every image in an album

Second key question, are these 'good' (descriptive?) names for the filters

Third question, are these 'filters' to be incorporated into jAlbum or individual skins

Fourth question, who in the jAlbum user group is going to use them

Fifth question, is there some other 'tool' a user might prefer first
jimberry

Posted: 18 May 12, 04:38   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
In this semi skins 'arms race,' let me add yet another new sample album ;-)
Much better.
Is there still room for my idea of larger images with the second image changing by hovering over the filter name?
Key question, are these filters for a SINGLE image or every image in an album
When applied via the "User Variables", they will apply to ALL images.
Maybe a skin could arrange to apply the filters to individual images, but I think it would be much better for jAlbum (if possible) to duplicate these filters in the "Image edit" panel.
Second key question, are these 'good' (descriptive?) names for the filters
As good as the Instagram names - but I agree that there should be a way to indicate what a filter actually does. Maybe a separate "Flower filters" tab with a radiobutton or checkbox to select the filter, with a descriptive label on each button. I can see that a filtername that is sufficiently descriptive without being too long is probably a big ask.
Third question, are these 'filters' to be incorporated into jAlbum or individual skins
I would hope that incorporating into jAlbum would be seen as preferred - that would make them instantly available to all skins. Why should every skin developer have to reinvent the wheel?
Fourth question, who in the jAlbum user group is going to use them
Good question
Fifth question, is there some other 'tool' a user might prefer first
?:|
davidekholm

Posted: 18 May 12, 18:05   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
#1. Is it possible for some of the "flower" filters be exported to the "Image tools" pane of the Edit panel?

Yes, it's coming.

#2. Is there some way to attach a description to these filters so that it is obvious what each one is supposed to do without actually having to generate an album?

Your suggestions for better names are welcome. Just avoid names that can throw us into copyright issues.

- Maybe instead of using the "User variables" tab to specify a filter, there could be a "Filters" tab with a radiobutton or checkbox with a descriptive label?

When those filters are available in the edit panel, then you will be able to play with them quickly to evaluate the result.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums