Home » jAlbum forums » Feature requests

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 43 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 04-Jan-2012 22:32 Last Post By: lolobu
CSBSAM

Wordpress integration?
Posted: 24-Nov-2010 21:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
If possible a way to integrate albums properly into wordpress would be brilliant. iframes aren't good enough! I've looked at so many wordpress gallery plugins and none of them are half as good as Jalbum, but I need to be able to integrate my albums into my wordpress site or I will be forced to use the poorly implemented wordpress plugins :(
jimberry

Re: Wordpress integration?
Posted: 24-Nov-2010 22:54   in response to: CSBSAM in response to: CSBSAM

Why are iframes not good enough?
CSBSAM

Posted: 24-Nov-2010 23:33   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

For many reasons:

1) portrait pictures either dont show properly or there is a big gap before the footer
2) when someone links to your album they only get the iframe not the full page
3) using iframes gives zero integration with wordpress unlike wordpress plugin galleries that allow you to use widgets etc...

A JAlbum wordpress plugin would be hugely popular!
emmelsbuell

Posted: 29-Nov-2010 17:12   in response to: CSBSAM in response to: CSBSAM

I agree with CSBSAM, I am searching also a gallery that can be integrated into Wordpress.
This feature has almost no Gallery.
I have (almost) all tested .....
What would be great if they could insert individual photos with Thumb in the text.
See my Wordpress page http://www.unser-kleiner-zoo.eu :There is the NextGen Gallery and many others installed. But is not so good.
If you do it, it will certainly be a success!
Sorry but a lot of work ...

Greeting Emmelsbuell
This text is translated from German with Google Translator !? I hope.....
jimberry

Posted: 30-Nov-2010 08:59   in response to: CSBSAM in response to: CSBSAM

1) and 2) - If the album is too big for the iframe then you need to reduce the dimensions of the album. jAlbum and its skins provide several ways to modify the dimensions of the generated album. for instance, you can change the size of the thumbnails and the slide images, you can vary the number of thumbnail columns and rows.
Depending on the skin you may be able to modify other aspects that take up space, like titles, descriptions, captions. It is up to you to make an album that fits within the space provided by WordPress.
Here is a WordPress example with two iframes containing jAlbum galleries with none of the problems you mention.
http://www.jimberry.org/blog/?page_id=31
http://www.jimberry.org/blog/?page_id=52

3) - jAlbum is NOT a WordPress plugin, and I don't think it would be feasible to make it into one, it would have to be a completely different animal, just as it would be difficult to turn WordPress into a jAlbum plugin..
CSBSAM

Posted: 30-Nov-2010 15:59   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Sorry Jim but you are missing the point I think. If my images are 800x600 then the iframe will fit ok but if the images are portrait i.e 600x800 then they either a) wont fit or b) when using a landscape image there will be an empty expanse of space underneath.

The iframe examples you have posted are with simple galleries that contain only a few images. My album contains over 1000 images in over 20 sub galleries. Also you still can not link to a sub gallery without losing the containing frame. Any serious web designer will tell you that you shouldn't use iframes.

JAlbum is great software, it does build galleries very well, but if those galleries cant be integrated within dynamic websites then it eventually becomes useless I'm afraid. I've used JAlbum for a few years and I have customised the Chameleon skin to suit the rest of my site but now I want to grow and develop my site into something more dynamic. If Jalbum cant grow and develop with me I'll be forced to drop it and use Nextgen. This is not something I really want to do as it will add another step in building my wordpress site but if JAlbum does not grow with me then my hand will be forced.

I know it can be done, it all depends on the developers.
jimberry

Posted: 01-Dec-2010 00:43   in response to: CSBSAM in response to: CSBSAM

I believe there are instructions somewhere in this forum for dynamically resizing an iframe.
In any case, even if the iframe was resized to cater for a smaller "landscape" page, wouldn't that also leave "an empty expanse of space" underneath the iframe?

You actually can link to a sub gallery without losing the containing frame, although for some skins you may have to edit the .htt templates to change the target.
I have regenerated one of those examples to show that linking to a sub gallery doesnt necessarily lose the containing frame. The Minimal skin used in this example did not need to be modified to achieve this.

The iframe element is a part of the HTML specification and many "serious web designers" are able to use it intelligently. A better phrase might be "shouldn't use iframes inappropriately".

If Nextgen does the job for you, that's fine, otherwise don't give up on jAlbum too easily :-)
=============================
SkiFreak has put together an example of a Chameleon album in a dynamic iframe. -
http://skifreak.jalbum.net/iFrameDynamic/
Edited by: jimberry on 01-Dec-2010 17:05
CSBSAM

Posted: 01-Dec-2010 21:21   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

This is the link to one of your sub galleries

http://jimberry.jalbum.net/wp-album2/china/index.html

it opens without the containing frame.

This forum is for feature requests. I am requesting a feature. If the developers dont wish to do this then that is fine. I will find another way but iframes ARE inappropriate for the task at hand.
jimberry

Posted: 01-Dec-2010 23:45   in response to: CSBSAM in response to: CSBSAM

Ok, my bad. I misread your requirement as linking to the sub-gallery from within the album.
I agree that if this is a requirenent, then an iframe won't cut it, and neither will any other way of integrating jAlbum into WordPress. As jAlbum now builds self-contained web pages, not code snippets, unfortunately that would need a complete rewrite, not just an added feature.
CSBSAM

Posted: 02-Dec-2010 00:23   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

From what I have seen in Nextgen all it does is assign each image, gallery and sub gallery with an ID number and these are then used to build up the database required for the plugin to work. I'm sure there is a little more to it but its certainly not brain surgery and I dont think it would be that hard to made JAlbum assign ID numbers to each image in the same way.

I'm not a programmer but I can see how it works although I dont have the programming skill to make it work myself. I'm sure with a little ingenuity something workable could be developed.
kiermacz

Posted: 21-Dec-2010 15:13   in response to: CSBSAM in response to: CSBSAM

I support the request for a proper wordpress plugin for Jalbum. I like how JAlbum integrates into my workflow (lightroom web gallery export) and I really like the features of JAlbum. However I agree that using an iFrame to integrate any content into a CMS is a waste of time. You want the CMS to be able to 'interact' with JAlubm's content. if that makes sense :o|
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Dec-2010 15:50   in response to: kiermacz in response to: kiermacz

For 2011 we have plans to make Jalbum produce albums that can be integrated just like you integrate a YouTube video for instance. Stay tuned!
kiermacz

Posted: 21-Dec-2010 16:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thank you!

'+quietly hoping he meant first quarter of 2011+'
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Dec-2010 16:44   in response to: kiermacz in response to: kiermacz

We'll see how fast we can get something out. It is a big, but high priority project.
CSBSAM

Posted: 15-Jan-2011 15:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thank you David, this is something that will be very helpful for not just me but many Jalbum users who are also using wordpress. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

If I can help in anyway, please get in touch :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums