Home » jAlbum forums » Skins, Plugins, and Tools » Turtle

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-Mar-2012 09:17 Last Post By: jGromit
ckemp

Video: MP4 to FLV dirty trick (seems to work with the Turtle skin)
Posted: 23-Mar-2010 06:52
Summary:

Turtle Skin allowed me to 'cheat' to get streaming video for an MP4 format file by simply renaming the filename extension from .MP4 to .FLV . This seems to trick user's browsers into using the Adobe Flash Player instead of the Quicktime player, and the more recent Flash Players have the capability to stream .MP4

Gory Details:

Well ... I've been playing around a lot to get 'web videos' into a quality, size and format which is easily accessible by various family members.

I've read a lot of recommendations on here to use files with the .FLV extension so that the flash player picks it up.

What I've boiled down to now is using Sony Vegas 9.0 to combine, edit, adjust multiple video clips into a movie and then render it into a "Mainconcept AAC H.264" .MP4 format (with whatever size settings you like the best).

• .MP4 is usually picked up by the QuickTime plugin for most people's browsers
  • This means they need to have the QuickTime plugin
  • And it's a 'download the full movie then play' behaviour.

Because of this people often recommend the .FLV extension (which is what YouTube, Google and others use to stream video) to get the Adobe Flash Player plugin to trigger on your video.

So that brought me to looking to MP4 to FLV convertors since Sony Vegas currently does not render into .FLV directly unfortunately. I tried a few, but the .FLV always ended up 'blurrier' but did work better in my family member's browsers.

So .. here comes the dirty trick.

• instead of 'converting and re-encoding/wrapping' MP4 to FLV ... just rename the file from a .mp4 extension to a .flv

A post from videohelp.com is what led me to try this:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/best-mp4-to-flv-program-qualitywise-t367664.html

{quote}
Most Flash applications can use .mp4 if you have h.264 video and aac audio. If you need .flv container for some reason, you can use ffmpeg to re-wrap the container - no time wasted re-encoding, no quality loss because the streams are just copied into the new container
H.264 is a better choice than FLV, for quality. I don't know why you're so sure it has to be FLV, as Flash player 10 (and some latter versions of 9) all play H.264 in an MP4 wrapper (may need to rename file to .flv for it to play in some web-players, however -- rename is fine).

Pros:

• Dead simple and 'lossless' way to get your .MP4 to stream using the Adobe Flash Player

Cons:

• .FLV native wrapped files do behave a 'little better' in the Flash Player with a faster start in my experience than these renamed .MP4s, but the quality level maintenance and lack of another encoding/rendering step make this very attractive.

So ... why the post? I'm still very early into trying these mechanisms, and wanted to see if others had had the same experience. I'd be interested to hear if this worked for others who have .MP4 files from sources other than the Sony Vegas rendered output. Also does this work for other Jablum skins for folks (I've only tested in Turtle).

Edited by: ckemp on 23-Mar-2010 06:56

ckemp

Re: Video: MP4 to FLV dirty trick (seems to work with the Turtle skin)
Posted: 23-Mar-2010 14:24   in response to: ckemp in response to: ckemp
And to further improve the 'Cons' from above, the following link appears to resolve the 'slower start' I mentioned:

http://www.berndporr.me.uk/streaming/

with a command line tool named: qt-faststart.exe

I'm still poking around with this, but this is looking like a very nice solution for generating a streaming video with good playability for users from the Sony Vegas package.

1. Create you MainConcept AAC H.264 video file rendered into an .MP4 format
2. Cheat and rename the .MP4 to .FLV in order to get browsers to use the Adobe Flash Player to play the video file (instead of Quicktime)
3. Run qt-faststart.exe to properly re-order header information in the file so that Streaming works quickly and effectively (this step could actually be done before step 2 if so chosen)
ckemp

Posted: 23-Mar-2010 14:46   in response to: ckemp in response to: ckemp
More testing ... (to add this into the search engine for Jalbum :) ...

1) Take a .MOV generated from an iPhone 3GS
2) Run the command:
qt-faststart.exe 100_0001.mov 100_0001-qtfaststart.flv

This result is a re-wrapped .FLV file which is playing very easily for me on multiple computers and browers which support the Turtle skin. The file is still a touch large in my opinion via this method, but it is fast and smooth from what I have found.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the qt-faststart.exe executable so use it at your own risk and take the appropriate safety pre-cautions if you choose to use it.

Laza

Posted: 23-Mar-2010 22:43   in response to: ckemp in response to: ckemp
If you prefer I can remap MP4 to the flash video player.

Or you can do it yourself by editing skin.js in the skin folder's (Ctrl-Alt-S from Jalbum) 'res' folder.

Find this line (856):
var mtype=new Array(".avi.mp3", ".qt.mov.mpg.mpeg.mpe.mp4.aiff", ".wmv.wma.asf", ".swf", ".flv", ".divx.xvid" );

and move the .mp4 just after .flv
".flv.mp4"

The first group is played with Windows Media Player on PC, Quicktime on Mac, the second is always QT, the third is always WMP, the fourth is plain flash, the fifth is played by Flash Video Player, the sixth is by divx plugin.
ckemp

Posted: 12-Jun-2010 23:18   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Thanks for this Laza.

I have an issue of late. The Flash Player is no longer loading in the turtle skin for me in some configurations.

I have jalbum 8.7.5 and Turtle 1.2.3

For the following album (and others):

http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/636041/

The player does not show up in:

Computer 1:

Chrome 5.0.375.70 + Flash Player 10.1 (this used to work on a previous Chrome + Flash Player combo on this computer)
IE 8 + Flash Player 10.1

Computers 2 (and 3):

Broken:

IE 6 + Flash player

Works:

Firefox + Flash Player

Note that I can view Youtube videos using all of the above combos with no issues.

I modified the mtype just to test things out and put the .mp4 into the QT section and QT fired them up (but doesn't play them as well as the flash player).

I have tried a complete uninstall and re-install of the flash player, but that does not seem to have helped. Is there some sort of configuration in turtle skin Flash player inclusion which differs from the youtube inclusion?

And I have a second question... there is another page which has the following HTML and it seems to work on many of the browsers I use:

<video controls="" autoplay="" style="margin: auto; position: absolute; top: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0; left: 0;" name="media" src="http://www.someurl.com/foo.mp4"></video>

Is that something which could be made an option in turtle as well on the slidepage?

Edited by: ckemp on 12-Jun-2010 23:34

Laza

Posted: 15-Jun-2010 16:05   in response to: ckemp in response to: ckemp
Hi,

Chrome has lately changed its color model (with version 5+) which made Turtle's code fail to run. I have fixed this issue, download the beta from here: http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35507&tstart=0

IE6 compatibility cannot be achieved, as Turtle is using so many effects and requires quick and reliable javascript so I had to give up IE6 support at the early stage of skin development. The good news IE6 is used only some 5% of the PC's today.

The code you cite is from a HTML5 document, which is the next level of HTML standards, but unfortunately no support for it in IE7 & 8, which would affect too many users. And you cannot use the <video> tag in earlier HTML standards.

Laza
ckemp

Posted: 18-Jun-2010 01:55   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Thanks Laza!

I'll download the beta and check it out. I appreciate the help as always :)
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 01-Nov-2010 06:25   in response to: ckemp in response to: ckemp
FLV to MPEG4 free can convert FLV to any popular video formats.

Edited by: EarlyOut - old spam link removed
Laza

Posted: 01-Nov-2010 23:16   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER
John, most users need FLV (or MP4) from AVI or MOV not the reverse, so this utility won't help them. (if this is not a linkspam anyway)
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 10-Dec-2010 06:09   in response to: ckemp in response to: ckemp
Via google, I find this MP4 to FLV program.

Edited by: EarlyOut - old spam link removed.
Laza

Posted: 10-Dec-2010 09:39   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER
Sorry to spoil your business but XMediaRecode is free.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Mar-2012 09:17   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
This thread has become a spam magnet (I've deleted the latest attack). I've locked the thread. Anyone who wants to discuss the subject can start a new thread.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums