This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 58 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 23-Jun-2016 13:05 Last Post By: mrag
stealthpaws

How can I PREVENT downloading of my pictures?
Posted: 04-Jan-2009 02:49

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I just noticed today, after publishing (finally figured it out) to my website, that there is a little icon in the lower right-hand corner that allows downloading of any given picture. I do NOT want to invite ppl to download my pictures. I know-I know...right-click & it's done, but not everyone does know that, and I sure don't wish to encourage this. Is this something that is integral to the free version? & if I buy it, will it go away? Can I disable this somehow? I've been looking through all the controls and haven't found it, but I admit to being pretty impatient. lol. Thanks for any info.
jGromit

Re: How can I PREVENT downloading of my pictures?
Posted: 04-Jan-2009 02:51   in response to: stealthpaws in response to: stealthpaws

Which skin are you using? They're all different.
memgal

Posted: 04-Jan-2009 03:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I have the same question. I am using the Chameleon skin. I want to disable the download feature and I'd also like to disable the right click copy if possible. If this skin won't allow this can someone tell me which ones will? THX
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2009 08:21   in response to: memgal in response to: memgal

In Chameleon, choose Settings / Chameleon / Images / Image save protection and Download icon (check the first, uncheck the second). The image save protection (which disables right-click) is effective only in IE - FF ignores it.

In FotoPlayer, go to Settings / FotoPlayer / Options / Control Panel, and uncheck download (eliminates the download icon). Since FotoPlayer is a Flash skin, right-click copying isn't possible, anyway.

In Matrix, choose Settings / Matrix / Enlarged Images, and check Image save protection. Because this is a skin that uses Javascript to display the slide image, the protection against right-click saving is effective in all browsers.

In Boxer, choose Settings / Boxer / Navigation, and check Disable right-click on expanded images. Also effective in all browsers (Javascript again).

Some other skins may also offer this kind of protection.

There's an inescapable bottom line, here, however. If a person can see your image, he can save a copy of your image. That can't be prevented. In order to display your image, a copy of that image exists as a temporary internet file on your PC, and a knowledgeable user will certainly know how to save that copy. Using a Flash-based skin offers some additional protection, but even then, you can't prevent a user from doing a screen capture. Finally, a user who understands the directory structure of a Jalbum will know how to point his browser directly to the slide image on your web site. If the index page of your album is at www.example.com/gallery/index.html, your image files will be in www.example.com/gallery/slides, and in order for the album to work at all, that directory must be accessible.

You can watermark your images, and/or use the minimum resolution that looks OK on a computer monitor, but that's low-res enough to discourage image theft. But if you're going to display your images on a public website, there's no real way to prevent others from grabbing them.
stealthpaws

Posted: 04-Jan-2009 17:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks Early - I am using Chameleon & I'll follow your instructions. I do realize the difficulties in "preventing" theft of pictures - and perhaps "prevent" was a poor choice of wording. Perhaps "discourage" is a better one. Unfortunately, there is a rather high incidence of this sort of behavior by people of less-than-honorable standards in my craft. Thanks again.
mrag

Posted: 05-Jan-2009 01:56   in response to: stealthpaws in response to: stealthpaws

EarlyOut's synopsis on preventing image theft should be a "sticky" or a FAQ or something semi permanent on this site.
Dor

Posted: 05-Jan-2009 10:53   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
EarlyOut's synopsis on preventing image theft should be a "sticky" or a FAQ or something semi permanent on this site.

Good idea, we'll do that.
carl

Posted: 05-Jan-2009 13:52   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:

It's now in the FAQ: http://jalbum.net/help/faq/category/6/question/32/
SkiFreak

Posted: 13-Jan-2009 14:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Finally, a user who understands the directory structure of a Jalbum will know how to point his browser directly to the slide image on your web site. If the index page of your album is at www.example.com/gallery/index.html, your image files will be in www.example.com/gallery/slides, and in order for the album to work at all, that directory must be accessible
This is easily resolved by placing an inex.html file in the slides folder with a redirect to somewhere else. Direct url access to the files in that folder is unhampered but if a user tries to navigate to the folder they will be directed somewhere else. Web servers can also be configure to not display contents of a folder if it does not contain an index file. Either way works.
Bottom line however, as EO points out, if you can view the file you can copy it.
kudzuphotos

Posted: 10-Jan-2010 20:30   in response to: SkiFreak in response to: SkiFreak

I recently read a great way to prevent copying is to layer the image with a translucent image. Rather brilliant, I think. Is there any way to get around this that anyone can think of? Is there a way to write this into any of the skins?
rekk1986

Posted: 11-Jan-2010 02:29   in response to: stealthpaws in response to: stealthpaws

Hi everybody,
Now I've heard the ways to prevent someone from copying photos, so i've read all the replies to find an efficient solution for my site. Thanks for all.
timparsons

Posted: 23-Feb-2010 11:25   in response to: SkiFreak in response to: SkiFreak

I am no expert on this, as i am a real beginer, but even i know that the Print Screen key can be used to copy the screen picture very easily, is that what the experts above are reffering to when they say if you can see it you can copy it ?.

tim

Edited by: timparsons on 23-Feb-2010 11:26
SkiFreak

Posted: 23-Feb-2010 12:48   in response to: timparsons in response to: timparsons

...but even i know that the Print Screen key can be used to copy the screen picture very easily, is that what the experts above are reffering to when they say if you can see it you can copy it ?.

If every other method fails, yes, doing a screen capture will get you a copy of the image.
Having said that, getting an image out of the browser's cache is very simple and if the image is on the screen, chances are that it's in the cache too.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Feb-2010 14:35   in response to: timparsons in response to: timparsons

timparsons wrote:
I ... know that the Print Screen key can be used to copy the screen picture very easily, is that what the experts above are reffering to when they say if you can see it you can copy it ?.

There are other ways of doing a screen capture, too. There's an addon for Firefox called FireShot that lets you grab the contents of the browser window and then edit it, print it, whatever. And for capturing stuff outside of Firefox (like the Jalbum window), I use ScreenHunter, which can be set to grab the whole monitor, just the active window, or any rectangular area you define. Very handy.
SkiFreak

Posted: 23-Feb-2010 14:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

EarlyOut wrote:
There are other ways of doing a screen capture, too. There's an addon for Firefox called FireShot that lets you grab the contents of the browser window and then edit it, print it, whatever. And for capturing stuff outside of Firefox (like the Jalbum window), I use ScreenHunter, which can be set to grab the whole monitor, just the active window, or any rectangular area you define. Very handy.

So you're the one who has been stealing my images.... ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums