Home » jAlbum forums » General discussion

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 12-Jul-2008 01:36 Last Post By: carl
wogone

JAlbum on Wikipedia
Posted: 07-Jul-2008 15:48
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all,

I was looking around for either somewhere to host my photos or some gallery software I could host myself, which had to fit my pedantic list of must-haves.. and think I might have found it here. What surprised me though was that Jalbum wasn't listed anywhere on Wikipedia - as this was my first place to look around for things. I exhausted their lists of photo sharing websites and gallery software, and didn't find Jalbum on either!

Anyway, I have created a very crap Wikipedia page for Jalbum based on the 2 hours experience I have with it.. Could I suggest that someone with a little more experience than me adds to it, and adds Jalbum to the two lists I mentioned, as I think it is far too big (and good!) a project not keep quiet about!

And finally, I found a cute little kitten! :)

Iain
Gregouille

Re: JAlbum on Wikipedia
Posted: 07-Jul-2008 17:00   in response to: wogone in response to: wogone
Nice idea
I have added an entry on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_gallery_software
To be updated/corrected
jGromit

Posted: 07-Jul-2008 17:11   in response to: Gregouille in response to: Gregouille
It might get removed. While Jalbum should certainly have a presence on Wikipedia, I noticed that all the gallery software listed on that page falls into the "server side" category, unlike Jalbum, which runs (primarily) on the user's PC/Mac. Worth a try, at any rate!
jimberry

Posted: 08-Jul-2008 03:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
In fact, there was a "JAlbum" page some time back, but it was removed because it did not comply with guidelines

The reason given was: Article gives no indication of notability with multiple independent reliable sources.

So check out the policies and guidelines to avoid a repeat performance ;-)
mrag

Posted: 08-Jul-2008 04:44   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
This is why one buys stock in Google or Yahoo and not Wikipedia. I do like (for the most part) the initial write up and the concept of using Wikipedia. It's not like there is a submission fee, right? I'd turn this over to Team Sweden to finish off as they might wish ;-)
wogone

Posted: 08-Jul-2008 11:41   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Interesting, I managed to find the old Wikipedia entry on archive.org, and have incorporated it and some other stuff into the new article. It has references to external reviews, so I'm hoping it is considered more relevant now. I've also added it to the list of photo-sharing websites, although it's rather dwarfed by the likes of flickr.. are there any ideas of how many Jalbums are hosted elsewhere on the net?

I really ought to stop playing around now and actually go to work....
kristoffer

Posted: 08-Jul-2008 11:48   in response to: wogone in response to: wogone
Nicely done! Let's hope they'll let it remain this time :)
jimberry

Posted: 08-Jul-2008 14:41   in response to: kristoffer in response to: kristoffer
The new Jalbum entry includes a number of citations and some references to support a claim for importance, so possibly has a better chance of staying put. But someone should regularly check back to see if anyone has raised questions about its relevance.

Can I suggest some discussion points for possible edits?

#1 - The software includes an sftp client to facilitate uploading to the user's website or to the user's account on the Jalbum website.
#2 - 32 languages, but any user can can extend this number by supplying a translation sheet for a missing language.
#3 - Most skins allow for extensive further configuration either from a graphical user interface or by editing the HTML templates.
#4 - Staff of 30, including skin developers??????. Should skin developers be counted as staff? (I counted 70 skin developers
#5 - "40000 users hosting theirs on jalbum.net" - I think maybe not all 40000 registered users have posted albums.
kristoffer

Posted: 08-Jul-2008 15:51   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
jimberry wrote:
#5 - "40000 users hosting theirs on jalbum.net" - I think maybe not all 40000 registered users have posted albums.

This figure represents the number of active hosting accounts, there are actually more than 200 000 registered Jalbum users.
carl

Posted: 09-Jul-2008 12:51   in response to: kristoffer in response to: kristoffer
kristoffer wrote:
This figure represents the number of active hosting accounts, there are actually more than 200 000 registered Jalbum users.

We are actually up to 340,000 registered users at the moment :)
kristoffer

Posted: 09-Jul-2008 13:04   in response to: carl in response to: carl
Oh I was way off then!
MarkE

Posted: 10-Jul-2008 02:23   in response to: carl in response to: carl
carl wrote:

Carl,

How about making public some of the net statistics we were chatting about .... people might be somewhat surprised!

Mark
Gregouille

Posted: 10-Jul-2008 14:18   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Yes ! The team and the software deserve it !
carl

Posted: 11-Jul-2008 14:58   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
MarkE wrote:
carl wrote:

Carl,

How about making public some of the net statistics we were chatting about .... people might be somewhat surprised!

Mark

It is my pleasure Mark :)

Here we go:

Page views on Jalbum 8 albums last 30 days: 149,000,000 (yes - that's 149 million!)
Registered users: 340,000
Activated Jalbum hosting accounts: 40,000
Skin downloads per month: 115,000
Jalbum software downlaods per day: 4000
Total number of Jalbum software downloads: more than 4 million
Albums added to the community site: 23,000
Nice Alexa trend, last week an average below 15,000

/Carl
MarkE

Posted: 11-Jul-2008 23:48   in response to: carl in response to: carl
carl wrote:
Here we go:

Carl,

This is great info! Maybe it could be a sticky somewhere in the Forum, and/or somewhere visible on jalbum.net!

Cheers,

Mark
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums