This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 17-Apr-2007 19:33 Last Post By: benburrows
benburrows

Newbie Question Excluding images based on Exif Data
Posted: 03-Apr-2007 14:28

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Firstly I think JAlbum is great and I am enjoying testing stuff out on it.
I have come accross something I cannot figure out or even if its possable.

How should I go about excluding images from the collection based on exif data?
I tried doing this in the htt files of the XP skin but soon realised the problems with doing it there (even if you dont get the images on the html pages they are copied/resized to the destination when not required/wanted, the counters are screwed up and the image numbers dont work as you would expect). So is there any way of getting the excluded from the build process all together based on exif data? Is this something I could achive with a filter?

Not expecting anyone to code this for me but if anyone can point me to the right aproach or make some sugestions it would be much apreciated. I am not a java coder but I can get by in it.

The reason for me wanting to do this is because I store info in the exif data as to wether the image is public / private etc. I want to point JAlbum at my collection and let it include anything not marked (in exif) as private.

Thanks
Ben
CLOSED_USER

Re: Newbie Question Excluding images based on Exif Data
Posted: 03-Apr-2007 14:43   in response to: benburrows in response to: benburrows

all I can do is repeat what I said [and I think by some miracle Early Out agreed] in the other thread below:

JAlbum is FREE software to make fabulous albums, and if you are too lazy to organise your photos and do any pre processing then I have no pity at all for you expecting free software to assist you in a totally different field to what it was designed to do

And David, THIS is exactly the "rod for your back" I spoke of IF you try to take a person by the hand right back to the Point & Shoot stage.

As I said "render unto Caesar"

or to be more specific, my ver of JAlbum invites you to drag & drop etc "your directory/folder" INTO JAlbum

IMHO it ASSUMES you have already DONE that task, ie worked out the COMPOSITION of your amazing album

then one can spend further "value adding" by commenting on the slides in the editor

IMHO that ENTRY to JAlbum [which I assume is same in ver 7?] is at odds with the current discussions where it seems one drags MY Pictures to JAlbum and expects it to do some database type "search & destroy" function

as Early Out said [I seem to remember?] "back to basics please", ie "you bring the photos, we make the album"

All ideas of course IMHO [and subject to copyright]
benburrows

Posted: 03-Apr-2007 15:16   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

Hey Doctor,
I apologise if I asked something out of turn. Did not mean to cause any offence.

Im new to JAlbum and I have looked through a lot of the help pages and forum before asking my question. As it goes I do do properly organise and pre-process my images. I simply choose to keep them all together and let applications which access them decide on what they should or should not display based on exif content rather than have edited copies all over the place. As for Lazy, I dont think its lazy to have all my images updated with apropriate exif data so as to be easily processed by applications that can read that data (JAlbum included).

As JAlbum is clearly very powerfull and has so much flexability with the skins/java etc its very hard for someone new to know what is possable and what is not. I do not expect free (or commercial) software to do anything it was not designed to do.

From your comment I am guessing that your opinion/knowledge is that this is simply not possable.

Thanks for your help.
Ben
jGromit

Posted: 03-Apr-2007 15:32   in response to: benburrows in response to: benburrows
Helpful
Don't let The Doctor's rudeness put you off (or worse, drive you way from these forums).

While it's true that JAlbum is not really the tool for organizing your images, what you're trying to do is not outlandish - there's just no built-in way to get there. There are a lot of clever folks hanging out in these forums, however, and one of them (not me, alas!) may have some good ideas about how to accomplish what you're after.

The EXIF data are certainly accessible from within JAlbum - it's just a question of identifying the variables, writing some code to deal with them, and figuring out where that code needs to be included. The .htt files are, in effect, too late in the process - at that point, JAlbum has already identified which files it's going to process, and is marching through them, one at a time. Excluding images at that stage would be messy, to say the least.

But someone else may have some bright ideas, so hang in there.
benburrows

Posted: 03-Apr-2007 16:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the response Early Out.
Seems to be that I am asking for something not intended. Thats fine, I can live with that. Your quite right, its the "where" that I was after. If I cant figure it out I will just write something to generate the correct files for JAlbum to work from.

Thanks for the encouragement ;-)
jimberry

Posted: 03-Apr-2007 16:23   in response to: benburrows in response to: benburrows

Doc, I think you missed this from the original post ;
Not expecting anyone to code this for me but if
anyone can point me to the right aproach or make some
sugestions it would be much apreciated. I am not a
java coder but I can get by in it.

That is not the attitude of a lazy person.

Ben,
What you want to do sounds reasonable, but not trivial. It sounds like you have the right attitude to be able to accomplish it if it is possible, and I suspect that it probably is.
You may even be able to write a tool that can be included in the JAlbum External Tools menu.
A possible route to explore is using the "albumfiles.txt" file that JAlbum uses to exclude certain images when you flag them as excluded from the JAlbum Edit pane. If it is possible for a Beanshell tool to access the metadata and prepend a minus sign to the "albumfiles.txt" lines listing "private" files, that would probably do the trick. I am not sure if this is possible, but it seems to me to be worth a try.

benburrows

Posted: 03-Apr-2007 16:31   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Jim,
Thanks for the sugestion.
I will have a look into that aproach.

Regards
Ben
jimberry

Posted: 03-Apr-2007 17:08   in response to: benburrows in response to: benburrows

Let us know how you get on, and if you are successful, please post the tool for others to use ;-)
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 04-Apr-2007 02:17   in response to: benburrows in response to: benburrows

Sorry if it seemed a bit personal, so let me say welcome here and and explain

I am NOT the person to say if possible or not as I deplore the posting of MEANINGLESS exif data, especially if the album creator uses that as "an excuse" for not simply adding a comment eg "this is my horse Topper, and he is running free in Fields of Flanders"

Nor am I against technology, but it has to MEAN something and not be pseudo tech babble like this was taken at 1/500 th sec when a P&S dont even HAVE a shutter, nor is there anything anyone else could DO with that info if it DID have a shutter

So yes that idea of yours is good but IMHO it is "database" usage and to be used long before you say to JAlbum "THESE are my best shots, so please do your thing"

But if we are going to USE technology, lets think outside the circle. Lets say your camera has a global positioning gismo inside [so cheap now they come free with family size Corn Flakes] and you P&S that horse but dont feel inclined to add any comment in EDIT in JAlbum [the pressures of modern life ... etc etc, you know the hype]

well I bring up your horse on www and think "wonder where that horse is, what a lovely field" so I double click on it and Google Earth zooms me in on the Fields of Flanders and if I am lucky the horse is IN the goole scan

I guess it was my former career in technical [digital] marketing that drummed the concepts in, and here we have "sell benefits, not features", and just sit in front of TV and watch ANY ad to see how the experts do this [and WIFMs etc] but in a very subtle way
alan927

Posted: 04-Apr-2007 03:43   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

Doc - There's more to EXIF than just shutter speed and flash info. Ben specifically wants this:

I want to point JAlbum at my collection and let it include anything not marked (in exif) as private.

That is a legitimate question, and while not currently available it should be doable if he or someone else takes the time to write the code.

BTW, If your horse Topper is running free in Fields of Flander, I suggest you go retrieve it. If not, please stop talking nonsense. After all, "it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 04-Apr-2007 04:00   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

sure thing Al

Hey I really think this global positioning exif is a goer, wonder if I can copyright it [or would that be a patent??]

In effect the person with Sacred Sites website is almost doing that already, except co-ordinates are not coming direct from camera

But back to marketing philosophy, it says do not fear Not Invented Here Syndrome, but rather pity them, because their desire to remain Jurassic only makes your innovations more marketable

also called Win Win situation
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 04-Apr-2007 04:43   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

Doc - There's more to EXIF than just shutter speed
and flash info. Ben specifically wants this:

I want to point JAlbum at my collection and let it
include anything not marked (in exif) as private.

Now if I have been reading the tea leaves of these 2 threads raging here, we have a situation where user tags his photos when he takes them [this is based on logic of IF he later divided them into 2 categories eg by different directories then taged them in exif, WHY would he put Humpty back together by mixing them all back to My Pictures etc??]

so we are back to other thread where user want to make a JAlbum from the one and only single occurence of the pictures, but wants JAlbum to do some processing to "exclude" all pictures marked as exif private

Well my reading of the state of the art says these private pictures then get wiped totally from the PC [not even to BillyBin]

So to fix this we need TWO "enhancements" to JAlbum, firstly to recognise the exif tag and secondly to tell it to go sit in some dir called private etc

IMHO these 2 are not enhancements at all, given that assuming the horse is a "business horse" we still dont know where he is [via comment or global positioning]

All this could have been averted had the user simply divided the photos [and hopefully pruned all dead wood out], pointed JAlbum at the business dir and gone to EDIT to provide comments
davidekholm

JAlbum Tool to exclude images based on Exif Data
Posted: 11-Apr-2007 11:00   in response to: benburrows in response to: benburrows

Hi Ben. JAlbum author here. I hope you're still hanging in there, and I'm also sorry about the postings of The Doctor in this thread. I think your attitude to give this a try with some guidance from us is just great.

I've put together a JAlbum Tool that excludes images in the current folder based on EXIF data. This specfic Tool excludes images that have had the flash fired, but you can easily modify it to your liking by changing one or two lines of code. You will find this API doc helpful if you want to modify it:

http://jalbum.net/api/com/drew/metadata/exif/ExifDirectory.html

To install the Tool, simply put in inside the tools subdirectory of the JAlbum install directory (note this Tool requires JAlbum to at least be running on Java 1.5), you can then run it from the External Tools menu of JAlbum.
MarkE

Re: JAlbum Tool to exclude images based on Exif Data
Posted: 11-Apr-2007 11:57   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi Ben. JAlbum author here. I hope you're still
hanging in there, and I'm also sorry about the
postings of The Doctor in this thread. I think your
attitude to give this a try with some guidance from
us is just great.

I agree

I've put together a JAlbum Tool that excludes images
in the current folder based on EXIF data. This
specfic Tool excludes images that have had the flash
fired, but you can easily modify it to your liking by
changing one or two lines of code. You will find this
API doc helpful if you want to modify it:

http://jalbum.net/api/com/drew/metadata/exif/ExifDirec
tory.html

Good work, David! Will this and the other recent on-the-side changes (like random ordeing) be in the v7.2??

Cheers,

Mark
davidekholm

Re: JAlbum Tool to exclude images based on Exif Data
Posted: 11-Apr-2007 12:32   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE

I can at least include this tool if that is requested, but I have for now posted this Tool in the Tools section of this forum (people might want to polish it a bit further)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums