====== NEW YEAR'S 2017 =======
January 02, 2017: the latest edition of my OLD SIGN WRITING COLLECTION is now up and running. Thank you to those people who sent me images or tip offs. The Collection now holds 2, 230 images.
* Click on "OLD SIGN WRITING: January 2017" to view. Each photograph lists location and date it was captured.
"NEW FINDS" contains 33 images gained since the last half-yearly update. More new finds folders may appear periodically.
Images are sorted by name, product or service. All demonstrate artistry and sometimes daring of yesteryear's sign writers who worked alone at precarious heights in a time before Health & Safety legislation.
* Download the collection free as a ZIP file (you will require JAVA for this).
PRESERVING HISTORY IN PICTURES
I have been photographing old sign writing since November 1983. The oldest sign photographed was painted for the Melbourne Coal, Shipping & Engineering company which ceased operation in eighteen ninety-three (1893). It is now hidden by a multi-storey neighbour. My partner's encouragement was key. "SIGNS" combines my love of photography and social history.
*** If you see a sign to add to the collection please email me or snap it with your smart phone and email firstname.lastname@example.org and I will credit you when I upload it.
========== ========== =====
2/. "GENERAL PHOTOGRAPHY" - is my personal photographic take on things: nature, structures, vintage cars, Cowra Memorial Japanese Garden and
=============== ==== ======
MY MUSIC - John Hunter Combo.
I also perform my original songs with harmonica and guitar. You can listen and download my Blues, Country, Folk, Comic songs at www.johnhuntercombo.com.au
============= ======= =====
John Hunter, Melbourne Australia, January 02, 2017.
* My first camera was a second hand Minolta XG-1 film camera with 33mm, 50mm and 100-200mm zoom Zeiss lenses. I chose 400 ASA Fuji film.
* Digital photography began for me with a Kodak DC3200 with a beautiful lens. I still use it as a back up.
* My camera now is a Fuji Finepix S5600 digital.
* AND I have included some images in my collection taken with my mobile phone camera thanks to the improved quality of these devices.